Real-Time Aerosol Inlet for IONICON PTR-TOFMS
The new CHemical Analysis of aeRosol ON-line (CHARON) particle inlet coupled to IONICON PTR-TOFMS instruments quantitatively detects organic sub-µm particulate matter as well as particulate ammonium and nitrate at single digit ng/m³ mass concentration levels in real-time.
- One Instrument for Particles and Gases: sequentially characterize almost the full range of organic compounds in the gas- and particle-phase with one single instrument.
- VOC, IVOC, SVOC and LVOC: on-line and real-time detection of volatile- to low volatile organic compounds on a molecular composition level.
- Broad Linearity Range: detect virtually all particulate organic compounds in the atmosphere with individual concentrations of less than 100 pg m-3. The upper limit of detection is in the range of 1 mg m-3.
- High Temporal Resolution: our novel Extended Volatility Range (EVR) setup allows for detecting of even the stickiest compounds in world leading PTR-MS response times.
- Selective Reagent Ionization (SRI-MS): use H3O+ mode for most quantitative results. Switch to NH4+ adduct mode for almost fragmentation free ionization within seconds.
A new generation of quantitative operation
- CHARON provides bulk elemental composition ratios (e.g. O:C, H:C, OSC) as well as bulk-average molecular formulas.
- Excellent agreement with existing measurement techniques (e.g. TOF-AMS, LC-MS).
- Follow individual particulate tracer compounds within single seconds response times.
- Fully automated operation and advanced data analysis with IDA.
Combine CHARON with SRI
- SRI: Switch from H3O+ to NH4+ reagent ions within seconds. No corrosive ammonia is needed.
- H3O+ mode: Measure almost the full range of non-refractory sub-µm particulate matter including organics, ammonium and nitrate.
- NH4+ mode: Detect oxygenated organic analytes almost fragmentation free (A.NH4+) at reduced E/N.
- SRI application case study: Analysis of secondary organic aerosol (SOA) generated by the ozonolysis of limonene in H3O+ mode and, almost fragmentation free, in NH4+ mode.
- Ambient organic aerosol: detect ambient organic aerosol on a molecular composition level plus ammonium and nitrate at highest precision and temporal resolutions. Müller, M. et al., 2017. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b02582
- Atmospheric simulation chambers: simulate atmospheric processes and follow the chemistry in real-time by CHARON PTR-MS. Gkatzelis, G. et al., 2018: https://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/18/12969/2018/
- Engine emissions: study the emissions of engines in real-time. Ask for our optimized dilution options. Eichler, P. et al., 2017. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.estlett.6b00488
- Industrial processes: measure industrial plumes and identify hazardous compounds of interest. Piel, F. et al., 2019: https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/5947/2019/amt-12-5947-2019.html
- Cigarettes and reduced risk products: directly measure emissions of cigarettes and reduced risk products with a smoking machine directly coupled to our specially developed isokinetic dilution unit: case study.
Visit the CHARON Technology Overview page
Leglise, J. et al., 2019: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.analchem.9b02949
Eichler, P. et al., 2015. https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/8/1353/2015/
The CHARON particle inlet is available as an exclusive add-on for selected IONICON PTR-TOFMS series instruments and best combined with the new PTR-TOF 6000, for an ultimate performance experience, high mass resolving power and utmost detection sensitivity. Sensitivities and limits of detection depend on the performance of the applied instrument.
|Limit of Detection||Average LoD < 400 pg m-3 (60 s, m/z 60 - m/z 400)|
|Aerodynamic Lens System||Inlet flow: ~ 500 ml/min |
Robust operation and active pressure control
|Gas phase denuder ||VOC adsorption > 99.999% (at ambient concentrations) |
Particle transmission > 90% for 80 nm < DP < 1000 nm
|Particle Size Range||Constant response factor: 120 nm < DP < 1000 nm (+/- 20%) |
Reduced response factor: 60 nm < DP < 120 nm
|Thermal Desorption||Efficient soft evaporation (< 150°C, < 10 mbar) |
Residence time < 1 s
Thermal degradation not reported
|Volatility range:||-5 > log C0 > 6 ((E)LVOC – IVOC) |
reduced evaporation for log C0 < -5 (ELVOC)
|Response times:||Levoglucosan < 10 s (log C0 ~ 1) |
Vanillic Acid < 15 s (log C0 ~ 1)
Azelaic Acid < 20 s (log C0 ~ 0.5)
Tartaric Acid < 40 s (log C0 ~ -1)
|Combined Gas and Particle Detection||Switching times < 60 s |
Automated filter blanks
|Power consumption:||< 300 W (excl. external pump)|
|Dimensions (wxhxd)||240mm x 200mm x 800mm|
|Weight||15.85 kg (excl. external pump)|
Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.