PTR-TOF is the solution for monitoring trace VOCs in the atmosphere
The benchmark method for fast, quantitative and ultra-sensitive analysis of almost the entire range of atmospheric organics. PTR-MS is used in a wide range of applications in environmental research.
- Robust and reliable technology for sampling of atmospheric volatile organic compounds at ultra low trace levels (single-digit pptV and below).
- H3O+ primary reagent ions quantitatively ionize almost the entire range of non-methane organics in the atmosphere.
- PTR-TOFMS allows for a targeted (e.g. monitoring of aromatic species) and untargeted analysis (e.g. analysis of oxidation products) of your sample on a molecular composition level.
- Analyze even the stickiest compounds (e.g. PAHs or highly oxidized compounds) with our EVR option.
- Additional acquisition modes enhance the selectivity of your measurements. These include a separation of isomers by FastGC or the use of alternative reagent ions like NO+ and NH4+.
- Expand the capability of your PTR-TOFMS from the gas-phase to the particle phase with our genuine CHARON particle inlet.
Emission studies probably reflect one of the broadest ranges of applications for PTR-MS. These studies have in common that they often require a high dynamic range for the detection of VOCs from sub-pptV concentrations up to ppmV levels. PTR-MS easily covers this range! Typical emission studies include:
- Urban emissions: Müller et al. 2017
- Biogenic emissions: Ruuskanen et al. 2011
- Biomass burning emissions: Stockwell et al. 2015
- Oil and gas emissions: Halliday et al. 2013
- Agricultural emissions: Sun et al. 2015
- Marine emissions: Sanchez et al., 2018
Reaction kinetics studies
PTR-MS is the ideal analytical equipment to understand the reaction kinetics occurring in the atmosphere. H3O+ mode allows to quantitatively following the photo-chemical decay of parent molecules and the rise of primary products. The even softer A.NH4+ mode is optimal to characterize further oxidized products including esters and peroxides. Reaction kinetics studies include:
- Laboratory experiments: Müller et al. 2012
- Directly in the atmosphere: Müller et al. 2016
Measurements on mobile platforms
PTR-MS is a very robust technology that allows to be deployed in/on mobile platforms. Have a look at the dedicated mobile VOC monitor PTR-TOF QB or contact IONICON for customized mobile solutions. Possible platforms include:
- Aircrafts: Chen et al. 2019
- Mobile labs and measurement vans: Zemek et al. 2019
- Ships: Tjernström et al. 2013
Learn more on mobile air quality monitoring with PTR-TOFMS.